Oral medicine is that area of special competence concerned with the health of the oral and para-oral structures. It deals with the principles of medicine that relate to mouth, as well as research in biological, pathological and clinical spheres.
Oral Medicine includes the diagnosis and medical management of diseases specific to the oro-facial tissues and of oral manifestations of systemic diseases. It also includes the management of behavioural disorders and the oral and dental treatment of medically compromised patients.
- To foster the development of dental graduates with adequate knowledge, necessary skills & reasonable attitudes which are required for carrying out all activities appropriate to general dental practice involving the prevention, diagnosis & treatment of all Dental & Maxillofacial diseases.
- To develop an aptitude for research and update the students with latest diagnostic approaches.
- To encourage clinical application of evidence based therapeutic measures.
The mission of the department is to advance the practice of medicine, improve patient care and promote scholarly activities. Central to this mission are the following:
- To encourage and support the pursuit of high quality, leading-edge education and research
- To promote the dissemination of new knowledge in the management of oro-facial disorders.
The talent of our staff and students and their commitment to these mission values sustain our pursuit of excellence in our practice and research.
- Overall wellbeing of the patient thro’ early detection and effective management of oral and maxillofacial diseases
- Support and Maintain academic excellence through evidence based practice
- Maintain a successful continuing education program
- Promote research and develop graduates who are highly competent ,ethical, socially responsible and culturally sensitive professionals