Periodontology is a speciality of dentistry which encompasses prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases affecting the supporting and surrounding tissues of the teeth or their substitutes, such as dental implants.
Emphasis is laid on the maintenance of oral, physical and mental health of the patient and also his/her periodontal esthetics.
The Department offers a graduate (B.D.S.) and postgraduate (M.D.S.). The advanced training program in Periodontology is approved by the Dental Council of India.
The training program in Periodontology is to structure and achieve the following objectives
- Dental education
- Extol the benefits of mechanical therapy
- Motivation to change
- To sustain improved levels of home care
- Restore sufficient biocompatibility
- Achieve medium to long term periodontal stability
- To attain potential improvement in general health
- Strive to achieve the ultimate goal – true periodontal regeneration